Happy New Year ! Time for Resolutions and inspiration for new goals.
Well usually it would be, but we're still carrying on with last years goal, inspiring as the view of the sunrise from my bedroom window was the other day.
As the popular saying (almost) has it, recent work has been very much
"Same shed ,different day".
With the "car parking" shed cleared away we moved onto the "silo" shed immediately adjacent. Now stripped of the big metal bins I decided to start removing it entirely since it will be the temporary site for the "Grumpy's" caravan. Its proved much easier having two people working since I could be up on the roof while the bits of wood, pipe and corrugated steel could get cleared from the ground by Grumpy (aka Dad)
This is not the Health and Safety approved soution to working at height although I do have a wooly hat on to protect my ears from the cold . It was certainly exciting in a stress-migraine-inducing kind of way !
Once the shed is cleared the eBay caravan can be wheeled down the hill - it arrived just before Xmas day - although rather disappointingly Grumpys present (to himself!) did not come wrapped in paper with a giant ribbon.
It is quite large (35 feet) and without a working tractor (at the time) it has had to stay at the top of the hill.
However the tractor is now fixed - which was immediately really useful for rescuing the van which we'd filled up with scrap metal from around the walled field. No way was the van coming back up the grassy hill alone !
This would have been pretty tricky on my own thats for sure - although the previous owner of the tractor had once managed something similar, towing a second tractor steered from the first tractor by means of ropes !!
The tractor is already repaying the effort and expense I've put into fixing it. Although I've not got a transport / linkbox yet (Dads offered to make one) or a trailer ( there are two derelict ones in field to repair) the front loader has been a real boon for shifting stuff. Having fixed the hydraulics, I could now pick up the counter weight so the manouver below no longer results in the rear wheels lifting off the ground when going downhill ! (Phew!)
For a change we started demolition on the old prefab concrete stable building (behind me in photo above) today, however Dad wasn't really up to the job on his own...
Lucky we had the tractor to pull the ivy off - still a bit of a fight though !
Underneath the ivy was the first asbestos cement roof to demolish. There are a few more of increasing difficulty. What you cant see is that all the moss of the roof has actually frozen solidly onto it! Hopefully that will keep all those asbestos particles together...
We got all the roof panels off today, the rest will come down tomorrow.
"Same shed, different day".
I suppose not every day was the same recently though... ;-)